Thursday, May 5, 2011

Not In It For Fun Anymore

I am about to express my frustration upon hearing one too many times, "Why India?" or "Oh, it's not going to be very fun" or any questionable phrase along those lines. I know it will not be particularly fun. I am NOT GOING for a fun getaway. If I was I wouldn't choose to go to India. Everyone that I have talked with who grew up and lived in India or has been there before, does not choose or prefer to go back. "Why would you choose THERE to go, why would you want to go THERE?" they ask. I am just so tired of hearing it; nothing said or that can be said will affect how I feel about India or going. I know it is not Hawaii. I don't want to GO to a place like that or else I would be going there instead. God has distinctly called me to India at this point in my life and very possibly in the near future as well. I am done with convenience and comfortability all of the time. I've had 21 years of it and I am ready to break away-detach myself from this superficial culture entrenched in vanity, instant gratification, and selfish, futile pleasures. I understand that many of the people who have made remarks to this effect did not mean anything by it that I am touching on. I understand that some people who admonished me against this only have good intentions in mind. I know the poverty that I am going to see, as much as I can know of it. That is why I am going there! I know that the poverty there is incomparable to anything I have seen in my life up to this point and can only imagine the conditions from the little I have seen of it via pictures. All the more reason to unearth myself from my spoiled life here in California and go to those who were born into poverty without choice.

People think this is a phase. People think I'm ignorant to the reality there, and maybe I am. Isn't the only way to remedy that to actually go and expose myself? Who knows where God will lead after I go, maybe I won't end up staying long term in the future like I am hoping for right now. Maybe I will, even if I decide I don't want to after all. I only desire to be an empty vessel-HIS empty vessel fit for use and not fit to be put on a shelf. I DO NOT CARE if He sends me someplace that is unbearably hot and humid. I do not care if He calls me to someplace that is oppressed with unthinkable unsanitary conditions. I do. not. care. if He leads me to someplace that's "not fun". I'm not in this walk for fun anymore.

If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
1 Corinthians 12:26

He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.
Mark 16:15

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
Acts 1:8

And if you give yourself to the hungry, and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then your light will rise in darkness, and your gloom will become like midday. And the LORD will continually guide you, and satisfy your desire in scorched places, and give strength to your bones; and you will be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water whose waters do not fail.
Isaiah 58:10

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8


No comments:

Post a Comment